Friday 8 May 2015

Dear Pakistan, you need to Mind all your Languages!

Dear Pakistan, you need to Mind all  your Languages!

Life Story of Kati by Saadia Bashir
 (Writer of this post is an MPhil-Linguistic Student at FJWU)


Ah! My heart-wrenching story has a spectacular beginning. I am a decedent of powerful Endo-European family. My family tree, hung in the insipid drawing-room of my deteriorating house, is now frozen in time. Nevertheless, it bespeaks volumes about the glorious laps in which I took birth. All laps that nurtured and fed me with magnificent ‘words,’ belonged to Afghanistan.

The tribe where I took birth was a powerful tribe who loved hunting. Following their prey, a few free spirits of our family visited northern areas of Pakistan. They found the area pleasantly apt for hunting and started visiting it often times. They were known as ‘Siah Posh Kafirs.’ This is how I set my roots in Pakistan who regrettably is famous for not preserving its languages at all (sigh). Hence, my endangered status on Ethnologue! You know, I love Ethnologue – at least there is someone who cares!

At present, I live in slightly better circumstances in Afghanistan where I have 15,000 speakers that reside in Northeast, mainly Nurestan, Badakhshan, and Konar provinces; smaller areas in Laghman and Panjshir provinces. Western Kativiri dialect speakers dwell in Mondul and Duab districts, Ramgal, Kulam, Ktivi (Kantiwo), and Paruk (Papruk) valleys; Mumviri dialect speakers are housed in Mangul, Sasku, Gabalgrom villages in the Bashgal valley. Eastern Kativiri dialect speakers live in upper Bashgal valley (Barg-e-Matal). I was also declared statutory language of provincial identity in Nuristan Province (2004, Constitution, Article 16(2)).

But in notorious Pakistan, I only own 3,700 speakers and that too, the ‘fallen ones’ if you allow me to quote ‘Miltonian’ term! You wish to know the reason? Literacy rate of my L1 speakers is 0 percent and L2 speakers is, O’ dear Lord, only 1-2 percent. So my future, in Pakistan, in any case, is dismal! You can find me on language cloud too, just in case if you want to preserve me!

Well, now I am not that Godforsaken! A few lovers of mine who reside in Afghanistan have taken some heart-warming steps to preserve me. News from 2010 has breathed new life in me. Friends say that Ministry of Education Afghanistan is undertaking some salubrious work to write textbooks in me, develop dictionaries and also write my grammar. Phew, better sense prevailed! After all there is some hope, but wait .... not in Pakistan! I will vanquish from there and that I am certain! Pakistan needs to realize the importance of its age-old languages that are a custodian of diversity of cultures! Wake up Pakistan! Go, mind your languages! And give our story a dramatic turn!

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment